I am concerned that either our rat colony has picked up some sort of nasty virus or our entire population of aging rats decided to die at once. The latter seems somewhat unlikely, yet the former option is so potentially disasterous that I don't even want to contemplate it. In the last 10 days we have lost Elizabeth, Monty, Oliver, Dulce, and Abby. All of these rats except Dulce were old. But Glory is not well and neither is Bronte (who is old too). Plus we have two rats with tumors (Aliette and Cheerio). I know that I have been actively advocating for a smaller number of pets, but this is just ridiculous. We are drugging Glory & Bronte every day with massive amounts of antibiotics. Well, massive for their body size, that is. Hopefully we'll be able to beat whatever this thing is back into submission. I definitely do not want to adopt any more rats until we get things under control.
On the sunnier side, our meat smoking party went VERY well. Everyone seemed to have a good time and the food was awesome. Well worth the effort. We did wind up with a lot of leftovers this time, which is good--we didn't have any leftovers last year when we did this and it sucked. I did apparently get bitten within an inch of my life around my ankles, which confuses me as I was uber-vigilant for bugs but they are sneaky little beasts. Tonight I have to go haul in all the chairs and the table, thus opening myself up for mosquito attack again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
After bringing in the chairs, I now have a GIGANTIC mosquito bite on the knuckle of my middle finger. The knuckle has swollen to about three times normal size and itches like mad. At least my ankles seem to have survived, I guess.
Post a Comment