Friday, July 3, 2009

A Ho-Hum Fourth of July

Actually, ho-hum is kinda okay right now. We've spent a lot of time cleaning and sorting and I am TIRED. All the time. So we're not going anywhere or really doing anything for the Fourth, other than potentially grilling some red meat. We're having people over on Sunday night to celebrate Ruthann's birthday, so that will count for a lot. Ann Arbor doesn't have fireworks or anything, so we might as well just stay home and avoid the crowds elsewhere, I guess.

This morning I ran errands for almost 3 hours. I had to return the Rug Doctor I rented from Lowes (carpet is MUCH cleaner now, thankfully), return the bath mat I got yesterday from Target and get a different one, return cans & bottles, and pick up some groceries from Plum Market. Do you know how much I can't STAND returning bottles and cans for deposit? Now granted, it's a lot better with the machines than it was in Iowa where you had to line them up for a customer service representative to count them. But it seems that the machine won't take half of the brands, so I ended up having to go to 2 different stores and I STILL didn't get all of them returned for deposit. I also discovered today that if you pull the labels off of your beer bottle (as I am wont to do), you also pull off the barcode and the machine won't accept it. Argh. On the plus side, I made back almost $15! Yes, it's been a while since I took them back. Add that to the $26 and assorted change that I found while cleaning, and it's almost been a profitable venture.

And by the way, Plum Market didn't have rosemary AGAIN. They have it every time I don't need it. This is now the 3rd time that I have needed it and they have every herb EXCEPT rosemary. I am hoping that our rosemary plant is big enough now that we can harvest from it so I don't have to go to yet another grocery store.

No comments: