Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The winter break of despair

It's been a long, long week. I have never had an illness that knocked me on my ass like this one has. I started the antibiotics seven days ago and still am not completely over the pneumonia. Probably the worst day was Christmas Eve. We both slept in until after 10, but then I went back to bed pretty quickly after getting up and slept/coughed until around 5. My husband made a really nice dinner and I could barely eat any of it. Nothing tasted good. I was also pretty bummed about not being able to go to Chicago, which probably didn't help. Christmas Day was a little better, but I was still pretty out of it for the dinner we attended. I curled up on the couch and basically ignored everyone!

I've started feeling better since then, although I still get really tired and I have this nasty cough. And of course, being on heavy-duty antibiotics for so long is having other effects on my body that aren't particularly appreciated. Enough said. What amuses me is that the doctor's office called me yesterday to let me know that a radiologist had finally read my chest x-ray from a week ago and confirmed the pneumonia diagnosis. Glad we didn't wait to begin treatment until getting confirmation--I'd probably be dead by now!

It's hard to find a balance between taking it easy and doing what needs to be done. Or what I *want* to do (I am on vacation, after all). Sometimes I feel fine, but then later on in the day I'm just wiped out. Like today. I did some shopping, laundry, and went to lunch, but then had a hard time functioning until I took a nap. I just hope that I will be able to make it through the day once school starts next week.

No comments: