The day started off badly when neither alarm went off this morning and I was shaken awake at 7:40. Keep in mind, I am supposed to be at school by 7:30 and it takes almost an hour to get there. I think I set a new land speed record since I managed to get to work by 8:30. Eek. Not the way I like to begin my day.
Because I was late and therefore missed my prep, I had to scramble to have something for the kiddies to do. I was also supposed to write sub plans for Monday because I have a doctor appointment and was going to take the rest of the day off. But then I found out that two other teachers are also going to be gone on Monday, and they have subs coming in from outside of the building to cover their classes. This generally means big trouble, and I don't think it would be smart to have a sub in my room as well. So I ended up changing my plans so I will come in after my appointment. Ugh. I was really looking forward to having some nice, quiet time at home to wrap presents. I will be sure to find another day after the holiday now.
To cap it all off, we were supposed to go to the Ecology Department holiday party tonight. It has not been a raucous event in the past, but it is held in the dinosaur hall of the Natural History Museum. So you can drink cheap wine while perusing T-Rex bones. Anyway, it is a potluck event and we were assigned to bring a main dish. Accordingly, a gigantic (and I do mean gigantic) cast iron pot of chili was prepared and stowed in the trunk for transport to the event. We were about halfway there when some moronic asshole turned in front of me unexpectedly. In order to avoid slamming into said asshole, I slammed on the brakes and swerved. I managed to avoid the accident, but the casts iron pot slammed into the back of the back seat hard enough to pop it forward and fold it down. The chili inside the pot splattered all over the back of the seat, the back door, and dripped into all the cracks. I pulled into a parking lot so we could assess the damage. It looked like a massacre, and the chili was steaming in the cold night air from every corner of the trunk and backseat. We debated about continuing to the party anyway since there was some chili still left in the pot, but decided that trying to clean frozen chili spatters out of the upholstery would prove to be far more challenging than cleaning steaming hot chili spatters. So we ditched the party and ordered a pizza to make up for the chili debacle. Cleaning it up was not much fun and I'm pretty sure I didn't find it all. I am worried about the stench more than the stain--I cannot spend two hours a day in a car that reeks of old chili. We may be forced to spend some money on detailing the car this weekend.
So basically, I would like to go back to bed and start this day all over. Better yet, I would like to go to bed and discover that it is December 19.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment