Thursday, September 11, 2008

Would you like fries with that?

So bad news...my school district has lost 600 students this year and class sizes are down in every grade except mine. We're short $4 million and I'm thinking that the only way they can make that up is through lay-offs. No official word yet, and I am hoping that they can avoid cutting anyone. But I am low on the totem pole so my position is by no means assured. I am VERY worried. Obviously the personal cost would be high, but also it would devastate the kids if half their teachers just disappeared. We're trying to stay positive around here but it's hard.

Ironically, this year so far had been the best in a while, up to this point! I love what I am doing and the kids are great. Ironically, I just taught the kids about irony.

So life is on hold while we wait to see what happens. There was another administrator meeting today but I haven't heard any outcomes. Official count day is 9/24, so I don't imagine any real action can be taken before then. Gulp.

No comments: