It's been one week since school ended, and I have been busier than I thought possible for being on vacation! The first and most important glitch in my sit-around-doing-nothing scheme is that I got a new job. I will be teaching 7th grade ELA at South Arbor Academy in Ypsilanti next year. Hooray! It is the job I have been coveting for a while now, ever since my friend Sandy (who works at SA) told me the position would be open. Of course I applied but heard nothing. Eventually Sandy discovered that they interviewed some people they had interviewed before for a different position and hired one of them. I was pretty bummed. But then the company that runs this school (as well as a bunch of others) called and asked me to apply at a different one of their schools. This one is about two miles north of where I was currently teaching. I did it, but didn't really want the job; I just wanted to keep the company happy in case something else came up. Not only was the school located in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, the job was for a 7th/8th grade push-in Title I teacher. Which I want nothing to do with. While I was waiting to hear if I got the job (so I could reject it), Sandy called to tell me I might be hearing from her school because the woman they hired had quit. Apparently she drove up from Toledo for Move Up Day, where the kids go up to the next grade level to see how it will go, and decided that the drive would cut into her family time. Yay for me! I found out on the same day that I had gotten the job at one school but also had an interview at the other. Obviously I rejected the job and went on the interview, and the rest you can put together for yourself. I quit my current job and got my stuff moved last week. I can't put my room together until August, but that's fine because I will have PLENTY to do until then. This new school is 7th in the state in terms of MEAP scores, so they really have it going on. I have already met with the principal, have all my textbooks, got a memory stick with lesson plan templates on it. . . there's a lot of work to do so I will be ready!
When I wasn't dealing with quitting one job and starting a new one, there's been a lot of other stuff going on too. Last week was Restaurant Week so many of the local restaurants offered special prix fixe menus. We managed to take advantage of three of them. We also attended two parties, one charity event, and went to Traverse City for a few days. Eek! I will soon need a vacation to recover from my vacation! But now it's back to laundry and dishes for a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment