Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Month of Hate and Rage

I couldn't figure out initially why we needed to have a week off in the middle of February when we just had 2 weeks off in December and then had Spring Break in April. It is becoming clear to me that if we didn't, most people in my profession would go stark raving mad.

Let's see....where to start? I was told that I had to get a doctor's note for the 2 days I was sick at the end of January. Because apparently I am about 12 years old and might not be telling the truth about having glands in my neck swollen to the size of grapefruits. I would understand if this was simply school policy, but no one else has had to do this. And what if I had had stomach flu or something? I wouldn't have been to the doctor. And of course the clinic I went to would not fax the note to the school--I had to go pick it up in person. Argh. Furthermore, the note is only for the first day I missed, not the second. So I have a feeling they will try to argue with me about the second day even though I still had a fever and could not possibly have functioned. We shall see.

On Tuesday I had the day from hell. Our principal had taken the day off, which rarely bodes well. My day started at 7:45 with a parent marching down to my homeroom and demanding to pull out a bunch of boys who were "harassing" her son so she could have it out with them. When I pointed out that she really couldn't do this, she claimed that the office had told her she could come down because the principal wasn't here. I sure hope this wasn't what they ACTUALLY said. Then I had mouthy kids all day--I wrote all sorts of detentions (I think 6 total) plus had to have a kid escorted from my room because she was threatening bodily harm to pretty much everyone and I wasn't sure I could stop her. Then to top it all off, the crazy mom showed back up pissed as hell at me because her kid got a detention FROM ANOTHER TEACHER. Because apparently I can control her son's behavior remotely. She told me she was sick of our "bull crap" and we apparently didn't have anything in our heads because everything she said went in one ear and out the other, blah blah blah. In a side note, she went off on the science teacher today because of the detention and refused to have her son serve the detention after she literally cursed the teacher up and down IN FRONT OF HER HOMEROOM. Nice.

Wednesday was count day, so the kids had full dress-down privileges in an attempt to bribe them to all show up. Pretty much that just makes them crazy--why follow the rules when you don't have to wear a uniform for a day? Of course this was also the day where we were observed by an outside agency, who pretty much verified that our kids are completely disrespectful and out of control. Today wasn't all that much better--we are just nailing kids left and right for being jerkfaces. Tomorrow needs to go very quickly, is all I can say!

No comments: