Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Livin' la vida surreal...

The one hoop I had left to jump through for this new job was to get fingerprinted. Even though I was just fingerprinted last year, apparently that was not good enough. I thought the whole point of doing it electronically was so that they could be filed and retrieved easily--silly me. So I had an appointment to get it done this morning over in Ypsi. It was through a private security firm rather than through the police. So I Mapquested where I was going and it didn't look too hard. But when I drove over there, I couldn't find it at all. I couldn't even find the road although it had seemed pretty straightforward on the map. Eventually I stopped and called the company to find out what exactly I had done wrong. The woman acted like I was a complete moron. "It's in the gated apartment complex at the clubhouse." Oh, of course it is. How silly of me. So I went through the security checkpoint and everything to get to the clubhouse of this apartment complex so an 18-yr-old could fingerprint me. He did not seem to me to be particularly security-oriented. It was very strange. Who runs a fingerprinting company out of a gated community? Isn't that a bit counter-intuitive?

No comments: