Saturday, February 13, 2010

Third Time's The Charm?

So the saga of my health continues. I got a bad head cold almost immediately after winter vacation. I've had problems with my ears all my life, and I usually wind up with 1-2 ear infections per year (especially after colds). So I wasn't too surprised when I got one this time too, but usually antibiotics solve the problem in a day or two. Well, this time amoxicillin did NOTHING to help after 7 days. So I went back to urgent care where I was given ear drops. This seemed a bit strange since the problem was BEHIND my eardrum, but I am not a doctor so what do I know? They told me that it should be better in 5 days. Today was day 5 and there was no improvement. The ears feel the same as they did over 2 weeks ago! So today I went to a DIFFERENT urgent care and was told that indeed the ear drops were completely useless because I don't have an outer ear infection. In fact, the ears are no longer infected at all, but they are full of fluid. It can't drain because of the swelling in my sinuses. I got a prescription for a steroid nasal spray to try to open up the Eustachian tubes and it was also recommended to get a neti pot to wash out the sinuses. I cannot properly impress upon you how much the thought of deliberately putting liquids up my nose makes me cringe. At this point, however, I am willing to try about anything.

No comments: