Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why does Iowa get all the breaks?

I'm certain that my Iowa friends will disagree, but I sure would like a snow day this year. Unlike the schools I used to work in, the school I am at now actually works in five snow days to the calendar. This, of course, implies that we should go ahead and definitely use all five of them. And after the first two years here, I was under the impression that five snow days might not be enough since we tended to need most of them even before winter break. And Michigan winters last a long, long time. But so far this year all the snow dumps in Iowa before it makes it across the lake to us. I know, making up snow days at the end of the year SUCKS. Been there, done that. But when the days are there, just taunting you, and THERE'S NO FREAKIN' SNOW. . . well, you understand the frustration here in our not-so winter wonderland.

There's been a lot of crazy drama at work (what? drama, you say? surely not!) and I can't really detail it here. Needless to say, the kids have been a bit of a handful and we're all about ready to be done with the insanity. Hence the dire need for snow days, in my humble opinion. I also have so many other things to get done and no time (or energy) to do them. I desperately need to update my grades in the computer, but have had no free time in my room when I could actually use my computer. Ditto on the yearbook layouts I need to work on. My unit plans haven't been turned in for weeks; frankly I am not sure how I've avoided getting nastygrams from the curriculum coordinator. Ugh. But notice that I've somehow found the time to update my blog.

In other news, we have some cute new baby rats. I don't have pics yet because baby rats are not good at posing for the camera. My attempts to photograph one of them using the camera on my cell phone resulted in some spectacular shots of white and black blurs running down my arm. Cheeky vermin. We've also been trying to have people over for dinner the last few weekends. This means a lot of work in keeping the house in a presentable state of affairs. We usually don't host events here because the house just isn't large enough, but we have been able to have smaller groups of friends and neighbors over for dinner parties. It's nice to feel like you're pulling your own weight when it comes to hosting. Plus I am not tripping over junk on the floor as much, which is pleasant. Now if we could just get all the boxes out of the spare room and the office. . . we'll probably be ready to move again by the time that happens!

No comments: